char·ac·ter – kerəktər/noun
- the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.
“The truth of your character is expressed through the choice of your actions” -Dr. Steve Maraboli
SoCal VBC didn’t always have a motto. Since day one we’ve been a uniquely considerate club, but our creed wasn’t officially established until 2012; when Aimee and I sat down with members and staff and defined what we’re about. We unanimously agreed. We’re “character through kindness.”
We’ve dedicated a whole month to “be[ing] kind,” but what about character?
You don’t teach someone to have strong character, you inspire it with your actions.
There is a fork in the road, and you have to decide: the hard path, or the easy path…and the caravan is watching.
The hard path takes blood, sweat, and grit. It takes challenging the status quo. It takes innovation. But we SoCalians have incredible character, and when we may feel like turning back, we brace our backs, strain our eyes and see that light on the horizon, and press on.
In a time of apathy and pessimism, SoCalians are engaged and compassionate—it’s our character through kindness.
Kindness influences every decision Aimee and I make for SoCal Athletics. Because we see our future leaders watching, so we shape the path.
And that means exciting things for you!
MAJOR CONSCIENTIOUS UPGRADES FOR SOCAL ATHLETICS
We recently received a grant designated for facility improvements.
For any changes to our program, our litmus test is, “Will it benefit our members?” We’ve found that economically and ecologically responsible projects are the ideal meld of character through kindness, as it helps reduce cost for our members, and has positive long-term benefits.
Members are already enjoying the energy efficient ceiling fans and ventilated gates for improved temperature control. And since May, a water fountain/bottle filling station is tracking every plastic bottle we save from a landfill.
NEW FLOORING BY TARKETT
In the last week of July we’re getting Tarkett flooring. This flooring has the most impact absorption available at 8.3mm. It will run wall-to-wall increasing gym space by 20% and eliminate the carpeted areas between courts. Installation will take ten days, but won’t interrupt club activities.
There is so much great information about this product online but if you want to geek-out on some of the technical stuff, here you go.
• Contains 50% natural materials • No REACH restricted chemicals • No California Proposition 65 restricted chemicals • No Formaldehyde • Free of lead, cadmium, and mercury • ISO 14001 certified manufacturing • 63% reduction in water use over six years • 29% reduction in VOCs over six years • 133% increase in recycling since 2003 • A history of conservation and recycling • TopClean™ XP treatment reduces maintenance • TVOC emissions: <100 µg/m3 after 28 days (ISO 16000) • TVOC emissions: <0.5 µg/m3 after 24 hours (ASTM D5116) • FloorScore® certified • Certified asthma & allergy friendly™ • Requires no harsh chemicals to maintain • Top Clean™ xp treatment reduces maintenance • 100% recyclable* • 24% pre-consumer recycled content • 98% adhesive-free installation with GreenLay™ • Virtually no adhesive contamination with GreenLay™ • Easier floor removal with GreenLay™ • Less landfill waste with GreenLay™
WE’RE GOING SOLAR!
Over the next few months, we’re installing a 42 kW solar system on the roof. This lowers our carbon footprint and electrical bill significantly each month. This is also an educational opportunity for players, and while the California legislation catches up, it lays the groundwork for a community solar garden.
NEW LIGHTING – LED
We follow SDG&E rebate opportunities for eliminating or lowering upgrade costs and SoCal just completed a 5 year upgrade waiting period after putting in energy efficient lighting in 2010. This summer we’re upgrading our interior and exterior lighting to meet higher efficiency standards while also creating more light inside and out.
- High Efficacy: High bay LED lighting fixtures deliver high efficacies or lumens per watt.
- Energy Efficient: Fixtures require minimal energy to operate and operate coolly, delivering savings of up to 70% on energy costs.
- Controllable: Unlike traditional sources, control such as dimming and on/off with occupancy sensors has no negative effect on the lifetime of high bay LED.
- Long Lifetimes: A fixture’s L70 lifetime is the number of hours of operation at which the light output of the LEDs has decreased to 70% of initial output. Essentials fixtures have 92.3% lumen maintenance at 70,000 hours (77°F/25°C ambient) and an L70 predicted life of more than 200,000 hours.
- Extremely Low Maintenance: Fixtures are backed by an industry-leading 5-year warranty. They require virtually no maintenance for the lifetime of the fixture.
- No Bulb Disposal/Storage Fees: Fixtures include no mercury or hazardous materials that require special disposal methods.
- Instant On: No warm-up period is required.
REACHING YOU WHERE YOU ARE – MY SOCAL
One of the biggest investments this year is in the development of My SoCal. This system confirms our commitment to every player in this club to bring them the services we consider world class for a youth athletics program. My SoCal is an integrated profile for every player at SoCal Volleyball Club (SoCal VBC). Each player receives a My SoCal login that gives them access to their personal Dashboard. Mobile and PC friendly, the Dashboard simplifies club and college recruiting communications throughout the player’s entire SoCal VBC career.
What does My SoCal include?
SoCal Player Profile
Syncs to our database, so college coaches can view your videos, stats and contact you directly.
College Resource Center
Expertly curated academic, athletic, and financial aid resources on your Dashboard.
SoCal Recruiting Advisors
Get expert advice from caring staff. Plus stay compliant with governing athletic bodies.
Effective, user-friendly skills video software, so you can craft your own highlight tape — anytime.
1,700+ College Search
Filter by enrollment size, rigor, tuition, etc. And have direct access to college coaches.
Full Suite of Google Apps
Streamlines all club and recruiting communication, all at your fingertips, 24/7.