It’s here: a new year and a new season! If you think practice and tournaments are all you get from your SoCal VBC membership, you’re mistaken. You get MUCH MORE. Below are 14 ways to get the most out of your membership. Please use, enjoy, and let’s make this the best season yet!
1. Be a gym rat | “You can’t hire someone to practice for you.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
Your SoCal VBC Membership gives you unlimited volleyball training, make the most of it by playing!
· Attend all of your team’s practices.
· Attend other team’s practices. You’re welcome to join another team’s practice that matches your skill level by coordinating with the team’s coach beforehand, or reach out to me at [email protected]
· Play in our post-season Summer League. As a member your fee is waived. Games start in July.
· Nail down a skill at our weekly Open Gym – it’s always free for members.
2. Download the GroupMe App to stay in the loop | app.groupme.com
GroupMe is a group texting app for parent, player, coach and admin communication. You can also add family and friends to the group by selecting the group icon in the upper right in the app, selecting members, then “Add Members”
An active GroupMe is a sign of a healthy team, but if you ever feel overwhelmed with the notifications, there are tutorials on how to mute the app in our support forum, at: sandiego.socalvbc.com/forums
3. Discover your perfect college with MySoCal | “Thorough preparation makes its own luck.” –Joe Poyer
MySoCal is your college matchmaker. To get started, log in to your account at my.socalvbc.com
Your username is: [email protected]
For example, mine would be: [email protected]
Your temporary password is: Socal2016
Here you can view over 1,700 college profiles. In addition to basic college search details like location, average SAT/ACT scores and tuition details, MySoCal gives you tailored information on the school’s volleyball program, including the coaching staff’s direct contact information. Be sure to update your player profile too, so college coaches find and recruit you. All communication funnels through your [email protected] gmail account (also on your MySoCal Dashboard).
4. Download the ClipCast app and make your highlight reel | clipcast.io
The SoCal Athletics Gym has a ClipCast camera on every court. Each team practice has a ClipCast code on your court’s whiteboard and/or posted in your team’s GroupMe. Download the ClipCast app and register your [email protected] email address to access the in-gym cameras. From here, have a friend or family member use the app to record your highlights by pressing the skill buttons on the screen. When you’re done, your highlights will be filtered by skill on your ClipCast account and available for online editing.
5. Follow your team on ScoreStream | scorestream.com
ScoreStream is your team’s game-day diary. This collaborative app manages real-time scores and photos. If fans at the game update the app’s scoreboard, then fans who can’t physically be there can follow along and cheer! It also keeps a record of every match results on the team’s dashboard, so you can watch how your team progresses throughout the season.
6. (Local Members) Use your three free FutureStars Sessions | sandiego.socalvbc.com/futurestars
Weekends are busy for families, and missed practices happen. Or maybe you just want some structured beginner skills training in a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Local players receive three free FutureStars beginner clinics with their Local Membership. Use yours anytime throughout the season!
You can still join a Local team too. Let us know you wanna play HERE.
7. Milk your member discount on Sand Volleyball Training | sandiego.socalvbc.com/sand
We’re so lucky to live in Southern California where we can train outdoors year-round. You’re so lucky to be a SoCal member because you save up to 50% on sand volleyball training! Before you commit, come try it out for free.
8. Save on tuition by joining the Fundraising GroupMe
Marla Frost, at [email protected], is a longtime member and organizes tuition fundraiser opportunities for members like you. This season’s December See’s Candy fundraiser brought in over $1,743 combined for participating members to use towards future tuition payments.
Get fundraising information by joining Marla’s Fundraising GroupMe: [GroupMe Link]
9. Get your free movement evaluation with a Physical Therapist who knows volleyball
If you have aches, pains, or just feel like you could be moving better, come see Gwen Alden, PT for a free movement evaluation. She’s more than your average Physical Therapist, she’s a Physical Therapist who knows volleyball — she’s a coach, a mother of three SoCal players, and a former DI player herself.
Schedule your appointment at: healthwesttherapy.com
10. Sign up for “Quick Hits” for curated news and special deals
Our email newsletter is a weekly digest of everything you need to know, including member shout outs, free seminars and workshops invitations, community event details and member discounts. Click here to sign up, and you’ll get the next email.
11. Pick up your Trendsetters gift on your birthday
Did you know, as a member, you get a free headband on your birthday? Swing by the Trendsetters Store in the gym, show the attendant your birthday email from us, and pick up your gift.
Trendsetters has lots of great gift ideas for the volleyball player in your life.
Shop online at: trendsetters.socalvbc.com
12. Earn community service hours (and good karma)
Club sports and community service looks stellar on your college application. Here are a few ways you can earn service hours at SoCal, and players can also become a SoCal Sister and help coach in beginner clinics and camps.
Join the SoCal Sister GroupMe here: [SoCal Sister GroupMe link]
13. Share in the bounty at the Orchard’s Edge
“Give what you can, take what you need” is the Orchard’s Edge motto in the gym. This food sharing program gets better the more you participate. If you have more food than you need, leave it in the bins. If there’s food in the bins you’d enjoy, take it! By participating you’re eating good food, and reducing community food waste.
Learn more and get alerts about food availability at: facebook.com/TheOrchardsEdge
14. Tell us what other services you want on Facebook or Instagram
To make the absolute most out of this year, tell us exactly what you want! More father/daughter beach tournaments? Become pen pals with a youth volleyball program in Samoa? You’ll be surprised what can happen when you reach out.
Question: What’s your favorite part of your SoCal VBC Membership? Let me know in the comments below.